SamKnows RealSpeed is here!
Back in March, we wrote about how internet service providers (ISPs) are using the SamKnows Router SDK to overcome the limitations of conventional speed tests and accurately measure 1Gbps+ speeds. Since then, we've been busy in our SamKnows labs, developing a way to let customers access the Router SDK, previously only available to ISPs, and run their own 1Gbps tests from the comfort of their homes.
Currently only available for Virgin Gig1 customers, SamKnows RealSpeed lets you remotely initiate a test from your router via a browser on any device that is connected to your home Wi-Fi.
“But I can use normal speed tests!” we hear you say.
You can, but…
1. It's impossible for your web and app-based speed tests to measure 1Gbps speeds. The 1Gbps LAN ports on your router mean that your measurements are forever capped at 940Mbps - even if your ISP is delivering above and beyond 1Gbps. (For more techy info about this, read here).
2. While web and app-based speed tests can give you a rough idea of what’s going on, they’re unable to tell you whether the problem is inside (i.e. beyond your ISP's control) or outside your home.
Virgin Media are acutely aware of this, and want you to be confident that they’re meeting your expectations, so they’ve popped our independent RealSpeed technology inside your powerful Hub 4. RealSpeed guarantees accurate test results by running tests from the edge of your home network - from inside the router itself. That way, you avoid the complications of your 1Gbps LAN ports and any in-home interference, such as poor Wi-Fi, that may distort your results, and lets you see the speed your getting to your home.
RealSpeed also syncs with Virgin Media’s customer care teams for a big confidence boost that everyone is on the same page.
How to use RealSpeed
RealSpeed is really easy to use:
1. Go to samknows.com/realspeed or scan the QR code in your Virgin Media Fibre Guide, which your installation engineer will give you when installing your new Virgin Hub 4.
2. The test starts automatically.
3. The big number at the end of your test is your perfectly accurate, RealSpeed mega result!